Graded locations

Listed buildings are graded in each location in this blog. Eg. Grade I, II* II of grade I is of most importance. Grade A relates to Scotland. See BLB

Saturday 9 July 2011

NUNNINGTON HALL, YORKSHIRE

Nunnington Hall, The National Trusts #7 Most Terrifying Haunted House

Name: Nunnington Hall
Locality: The Avenue, Nunnington, North Yorkshire YO62 5UY
Built: 16th century
Owner: National Trust
Grade I

Website: NT

A Grieving Ghost at Nunnington Hall, North Yorkshire, England

Nunnington Hall, on the banks of the River Rye, has long had a reputation of being haunted by the proud Lady of Nunnington. There were many reported sightings of her ghost gliding through the rooms and ascending the staircase, accompanied by the sound of rustling from her silk dress.

We arrived at Nunnington Hall in the pouring rain and ran at some speed to the house to take cover. After recieving a warm welcome on our arrival, we were met with a dark and ominous interior which was quite unwelcoming, dead horned beasts peered down at us from all angles. We ascended the grand sweeping wooden staircase to see what ghosts lurked in this ominus pile. We visited each room in turn all very nice and cosy, then I ventured into the paneled room, a bedroom that has seen alleged paranormal activity and I met up with a national trust employee, I introduced myself he was quite interested and was very willing to tell me about his own personal experiences whilst working at Nunnington Hall.


One evening when the house was quiet and still, he and another fellow employee felt a very cold draught, 'it was in the minuses' he explained, we couldn't find the source of the cold spot, we checked everywhere for a logical explanation, it was very odd, to this day he hasn't been able to figure it out. he also recounted what a visitor saw, a hazy figure of a woman walking right through the wood panels in this bedroom.



OH NO 'It's raining!', 'It's OK, you can borrow my jacket'... 'I look like a right ninny, it's ten times too bloody big for me, I hope nobody I know sees me in it!




Nunnington Hall Dining Room
Nunnington Hall Drawing Room



About Nunnington Hall (Wikipedia)

TV Programmes - Most Haunted