Graded locations

Listed buildings are graded in each location in this blog. Eg. Grade I, II* II of grade I is of most importance. Grade A relates to Scotland. See BLB

Sunday 28 August 2016

Spofforth Castle, North Yorkshire - castle, manor house,



Name: Spofforth Castle ruins
Locality: 2 Castle Close, Spofforth, North Yorkshire HG3 1AP
Built: 13th century
Owner: English Heritage
GradeI II*
Website: EH

I've been to Spofforth Castle quite a few times, it is allegedly haunted by the blue lady, people say she took her own life by throwing herself from the tower. Now, I have frozen my whatnots off here waiting for this shade to turn up; I even stood out in the cold until 2am on Christmas Eve!

Its a cute place, set in the small hamlet of Spofforth 'Spoff' as we used to refer to it. We usually stay in the undercroft, it's really sheltered from the elements and there is a staircase that goes to nowhere, which comes in very handy on cold nights, the stones hold in quite a bit of warmth from the day. 

There is even a cute little window ledge for putting you flask, sandwiches and maltezers on :D 
I didn't hold much hope of been witness to anything paranormal at the castle, it almost always appeared 'dead'. Months were spent going back-and-fro and nothing! Not a sausage. Then one night, it happened! I was stood in an enclosed bit of of the undercroft and I saw for just a few seconds an electric blue circular light reflecting back off a side-wall. I tried to rationalize it, but couldn't find a good explanation for it. 

No one else saw it to corroborate if for me. Unfortunate this could be suggestion on my part as I know the story, but I saw it plain and simple. I was really pleased, maybe this is what people have been seeing? I can't say for sure that there isn't something atmospheric going on, its a damp old place, why blue? I am not sure it's anything paranormal, don't know for sure. I don't suffer from cyanopsia. It's got this sceptic thinking.




View Larger Map










A blue figure has been seen at the top of this tower, before plummeting to the ground below.